Today, due to the increasing growth of computer networks and of course the growth of network equipment and corresponding services, the increasing growth of communication links and wireless equipment, the need for monitoring and logging systems and network analysis is felt as a vital system in every organization. The Solarwinds software collection is a complete suite for monitoring large data centers, which is currently one of the most popular monitoring applications in the world. One of the best solutions of this software package is Solarwinds NPM License. In the following, we introduce the features and capabilities of this software.
It is not possible to control the network without monitoring the status of services, equipment, servers, etc. In your network, as a network administrator, you must monitor all your servers, services, and equipment, one of the best of these widely used software is the licensed Solarwinds NPM.
This version of this licensed solution provides information such as the status of memory, processor, bandwidth, storage space of the network infrastructure to the network administrators and provides the latest events or necessary warnings in this regard to the network administrators.
Many software can be used in the field of network monitoring, among which SolarWinds network monitoring software is a very powerful tool for network services. This software can cover all our needs for network monitoring.
Of course, other big companies such as ManageEngine are active in this field, which of course are not as powerful as Solarwinds software, but it is much lighter and suitable for smaller companies and groups. It should be noted that this software requires a license and you can order and purchase it to use the maximum power of the software.
Add network equipment and network monitoring
After installing and running the software, the first step is to add network equipment to the software in order to monitor them.
There are two ways to add equipment:
- Network Discovery section
- Add Node section
Adding network equipment through Network Discovery
In this method, during network monitoring, the software automatically searches for equipment in the network. This method has two big problems. The first problem is not completely finding the equipment in the network, and the second problem is the minimal possibility to monitor the equipment. In other words, after finding the equipment, it will give you little possibility to monitor them.
- On the new page, select Network Discovery from the right side.
- On the screen that is being played, click on the START option to start the process.
- In this step, you must select the desired network. In the IP Range field, enter the desired IP range, in the Subnets field, your network address, in the IP Addresses field of your desired equipment, and finally in the Active Directory field, enter the address of your control domain.
- In the next steps, it asks for settings related to the equipment, after entering the information or ignoring them and continuing by selecting the Next option, the search for equipment for network monitoring will begin.
- After finishing it, the equipment found in the main panel of the software will be visible and monitored.
Adding network equipment through Add Node
The second method is to add equipment for network monitoring, manually and add each of them separately. Add Node is the most accurate and widely used method for network monitoring and is always used to add equipment.
To start it, as before, select the Manage Nodes option from the main software panel.
On the new page, select the Add Node option in the upper tabs.
- In the Polling Hostname or IP Address section, enter the IP address of the desired device.
- In the Polling Method section, different methods are defined to communicate with the desired device, which we will discuss below.
- External Node: In this method, no monitoring will be done on the desired system and it is for adding unimportant systems to the software.
- Status Only: In this case, the SolarWinds network monitoring software only checks whether the desired system is on and gives you a report about the system’s Up Time through the ICMP protocol.
- Most Devices: The most important and most used method is the SolarWinds software, which communicates with the target system through the SNMP and ICMP protocols and gives you the maximum possibility to monitor the equipment.
In the SNMP protocol, to communicate between the SolarWinds network monitoring software and the system in question, the selected Community String must be one. For example, if the term ZHIVAN is selected as Community String in SolarWinds software, the same term should be selected in the destination system.
- Windows Servers: In this method, which is for Windows operating systems, we only enter the username and password of the destination Windows system, and communication is established through WMI and ICMP protocols.
- Windows & Linux Servers: In the last method, an agent is installed on your Linux or Windows system, and through that, communication between the Solarwinds network monitoring software and the desired system is established.
It should be said that the best method for monitoring systems inside the network, even Windows systems (despite the WMI protocol), is communication through the SNMP protocol.
Finally, after choosing the desired method, click on the Next option and complete the steps of adding the network monitoring system.
Solarwinds NPM key features
- Hardware Health Monitoring capability
- Internal monitoring capability of exchange service
- Provide fully efficient and diverse graphical reports
- Separation of access levels based on work departments
- The ability to monitor Windows operating system services
- Bandwidth monitoring and network traffic analysis capability
- Internal monitoring capability of various web servers and databases
- Very diverse Alert Triggering capability from all network components
- Designing advanced maps and graphs using the powerful ATLAS software
- Very wide coverage of network devices and servers and communication links
- Ability to monitor the virtual infrastructure of VMware and Microsoft companies
- Provide bandwidth consumption report based on user, protocol, software and IP address
- Ability to detect powerful types of network routes and RIP, OSPF, EIGRP routing protocols
- Simple and efficient and separate categories of info, warning, error, emerge, critical software
- Automatic identification of some components of Cisco equipment and UPS devices and virtual machines
- Under the web and with a very strong GUI and a wide coverage of network devices and appliance
- Automatic network discovery capability and support for a wide range of Multi-Vendor device support SYSLOG server is a powerful KIWI server from the collection of Solarwinds Suite applications that is used to manage SYSLOGs.