Cisco Catalyst 3650 Switch License
Cisco Catalyst 3650 Switch
The cisco catalyst 3650 is the next generation of enterprise-class standalone and stackable access-layer switches that provide the foundation for full convergence between wired and wireless on a single platform. The 3650 Series is built on the advanced Cisco StackWise-160, and takes advantage of the new Cisco Unified Access Data Plane (UADP) application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC).
This switch can enable uniform wired-wireless policy enforcement, application visibility, flexibility, application optimization, and superior resiliency. The 3650 Series switches support full IEEE 802.3at Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+), Cisco Universal Power over Ethernet (Cisco UPOE) on the Cisco Catalyst 3650 Series multigigabit switches, and offer modular and field-replaceable redundant fans and power supplies.
The 3650 Series switches also come in a 12-inch lower depth form factor so that you can deploy them in tight wiring closets in remote branches and offices where depth of the switch is a concern. In addition, the 3650 multigigabit switches support current and next-generation wireless speeds and standards (including 802.11ac Wave 2) on existing cabling infrastructure. The 3650 Series switches help increase wireless productivity and reduce TCO.
• Integrated wireless controller capability with:
- Up to 40G of wireless capacity per switch (48-port models)
- Support for up to 50 access points and 1000 wireless clients on each switching entity (switch or stack)
• 24 and 48 10/100/1000 data and PoE+ models with energy-efficient Ethernet (EEE) supported ports
• 24 and 48 100-Mbps and 1-, 2.5-, 5-, and 10-Gbps (multigigabit) Cisco UPOE and PoE+ models with EEE
• Five fixed-uplink models with four Gigabit Ethernet, two 10 Gigabit Ethernet, four 10 Gigabit Ethernet, eight 10 Gigabit Ethernet, or two 40 Gigabit Ethernet Quad Small Form-Factor Pluggable Plus (QSFP+) ports
• 24-port and 48-port 10/100/1000 PoE+ models with lower noise and reduced depth of 11.62 inches for shallow depth cabinets in enterprise, retail, and branch-office environments
• Optional Cisco StackWise-160 technology that provides scalability and resiliency with 160 Gbps of stack throughput
• Dual redundant, modular power supplies and three modular fans providing redundancy
• Support for external power system RPS 2300 on the 3650 mini SKUs for power redundancy
• Full IEEE 802.3at (PoE+) with 30W power on all ports in 1 rack unit (RU) form factor
• Cisco UPOE with 60W power per port in 1 rack unit (RU) form factor
• IEEE 802.3bz (2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T) to go beyond 1 Gbps with existing Category 5e and Category 6
• IEEE 802.1ba Audio Video Bridging (AVB) built in to provide a better AV experience, including improved time synchronization and quality of service (QoS)
• Software support for IPv4 and IPv6 routing, multicast routing, modular QoS, Flexible NetFlow (FNF) Version 9, and enhanced security features
• Single universal Cisco IOS Software image across all license levels, providing an easy upgrade path for software features
• Enhanced limited lifetime warranty (E-LLW) with next business day (NBD) advance hardware replacement and 90-day access to Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support
Converged Wired plus Wireless Access
The cisco catalyst 3650 license is a standalone and stackable access switching platform that enables wired plus wireless services on a single Cisco IOS XE Software-based platform. With this, Cisco has pioneered a host of rich capabilities such as high availability based on stateful switchover (SSO) on stacking, granular QoS, security, and Flexible NetFlow (FNF) across wired and wireless in a seamless fashion.
Also, the wired plus wireless features are bundled into a single Cisco IOS Software image, which reduces the number of software images that users have to qualify/certify before enabling them in their network. The single console port for command-line interface (CLI) management reduces the number of touch points to manage for wired plus wireless services, thereby reducing network complexity, simplifying network operations, and lowering the TCO to manage the infrastructure.
Converged wired plus wireless not only improves wireless bandwidth across the network but also the scale of wireless deployment. Each 48-port Cisco Catalyst 3650 provides 40 Gbps of wireless throughput (20 Gbps on the 24-port model). This wireless capacity increases with the number of members in the stack.
This makes sure that the network can scale with current wireless bandwidth requirements, as dictated by IEEE 802.11n-based access points and with future wireless standards such as IEEE 802.11ac. Additionally, the Cisco Catalyst 3650 distributes the wireless controller functions to achieve better scalability. Each Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch/stack can operate as the wireless controller in two modes:
● Mobility agent (MA): This is the default mode in which the Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch ships. In this mode the switch is capable of terminating the CAPWAP tunnels from the access points and providing wireless connectivity to wireless clients. Maintaining wireless client databases and configuring and enforcing security and QoS policies for wireless clients and access points can be enforced in this mode. No additional license on top of IP Base is required to operate in the mobility agent mode.
● Mobility controller (MC): In this mode, the Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch can perform all the mobility agent tasks in addition to mobility coordination, radio resource management (RRM), and Cisco CleanAir coordination within a mobility subdomain. The mobility controller mode can be enabled on the switch CLI.
IP Base license level is required when the Cisco Catalyst 3650 switch is acting as the mobility controller. A centrally located Cisco 5508 Wireless LAN Controller (WLC 5508), Cisco Wireless Services Module 2 (WiSM2) (when running AireOS Version 7.3), and Wireless LAN Controller 5760 can also perform this role for larger deployments.
With mobility agents located in the wiring closets providing 40 Gbps of wireless per switch (n x 40 Gbps for a stack of n switches) and mobility controllers managing some of the central wireless functions, the converged access-based wireless deployment provides best-in-class scalability for wireless and significantly improved wireless throughput.