Cisco MDS 9200 Series Multiservice Switches
Improve Business Continuance
Cisco MDS 9200 Series Multiservice Switches improve business continuance by delivering state-of-the-art multiprotocol and distributed multiservice convergence. They offer high-performance SAN extension and disaster-recovery solutions, intelligent fabric services, and cost-effective multiprotocol connectivity for both open systems and mainframe environments.
Models in this Series
- Cisco MDS 9250i Multiservice Fabric Switch
- Cisco MDS 9222i Multiservice Modular Switch
- Cisco MDS 9216 Multilayer Fabric Switch
- Cisco MDS 9216i Multilayer Fabric Switch
- Cisco MDS 9216A Multilayer Fabric Switch
Cisco MDS 9250i Multiservice Fabric Switch
The Cisco MDS 9250i Multiservice Fabric Switch, the next generation of the highly flexible, industry‑leading, proven Cisco MDS 9200 Series Multiservice Switches, is an optimized platform for deploying high-performance SAN extension solutions, distributed intelligent fabric services, and cost-effective multiprotocol connectivity for both open systems and mainframe environments. With a compact form factor and advanced capabilities normally available only on director-class switches, the Cisco MDS 9250i is an ideal solution for departmental and remote branch-office SANs as well as in large-scale SANs in conjunction with the Cisco MDS 9710 Multilayer Director.
For more information, Security License
The Cisco MDS 9250i offers up to forty 16-Gbps Fibre Channel ports, two 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet IP storage services ports, and eight 10 Gigabit Ethernet Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) ports in a fixed two-rack-unit (2RU) form factor. The Cisco MDS 9250i connects to existing native Fibre Channel networks, protecting current investments in storage networks. The Cisco SAN Extension over IP application package license is enabled as standard on the two fixed 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet IP storage services ports, enabling features such as Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP) and compression on the switch without the need for additional licenses. Also, using the eight 10 Gigabit Ethernet FCoE ports, the Cisco MDS 9250i platform attaches to directly connected FCoE and Fibre Channel storage devices and supports multitiered unified network fabric connectivity directly over FCoE.
Cisco MDS 9222i Multiservice Modular Switch
The Cisco MDS 9222i Multiservice Modular Switch, the next generation of the highly flexible, industry‑leading, proven Cisco MDS 9200 Series Multilayer Switches, is an optimized platform for deploying high‑performance SAN extension solutions, distributed intelligent fabric services, and cost-effective multiprotocol connectivity for both open systems and mainframe environments. With a compact form factor, modularity, and advanced capabilities normally available only on director-class switches, the Cisco MDS 9222i is an ideal solution for departmental and remote branch-office SANs.
Sharing a consistent architecture with the Cisco MDS 9500 Series Multilayer Directors, the Cisco MDS 9222i offers 18 4-Gbps Fibre Channel ports and 4 1-Gigabit Ethernet IP storage services ports as standard in a fixed slot plus a modular expansion slot to host optional Cisco MDS 9000 Family switching and services modules. The SAN Extension over IP application package license is enabled as standard on the 4 fixed Gigabit Ethernet IP storage services ports, enabling features such as Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP) and compression on the switch without the need for additional licenses.
As the storage network continues to expand, the Cisco MDS 9000 Family switching or service module installed in the expansion slot can be removed from the Cisco MDS 9222i modular switch and migrated to Cisco MDS 9500 Series Multilayer Directors, providing high flexibility, smooth migration, common sparing, and outstanding investment protection.
Cisco MDS 9250i Multiservice Fabric Switch
Main features and benefits
The Cisco MDS 9250i provides unique Multiservice and multiprotocol functions in a compact 2RU form factor:
- SAN consolidation with integrated multiprotocol support: The Cisco MDS 9250i is available in a base configuration of 20 ports of 16-Gbps Fibre Channel for high-performance SAN connectivity, 2 ports of 1/10-Gigabit Ethernet for FCIP and Small Computer System Interface over IP (iSCSI) storage services, and 8 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet for FCoE connectivity.
- High-density Fibre Channel switch with 16-Gbps connectivity: The Cisco MDS 9250i scales up to 40 ports of 16-Gbps Fibre Channel in a fixed configuration switch. The base configuration comes with 20 ports of 16‑Gbps Fibre Channel enabled for high-performance SAN connectivity, and it can be upgraded onsite to enable additional 20 ports of 16-Gbps Fibre Channel by adding the Cisco MDS 9250i On-Demand Port Activation license. Additionally, the Cisco MDS 9250i cost-effectively scales up for IBM Fibre Connection (FICON) mainframe environments.
- Intelligent application services engine: The Cisco MDS 9250i includes as standard a single application services engine that enables the included Cisco SAN Extension over IP software solution package to run on the two fixed 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet storage services ports. The Cisco SAN Extension over IP package provides an integrated, cost-effective, and reliable business-continuance solution that uses IP infrastructure by offering FCIP for remote SAN extension, along with a variety of advanced features to optimize the performance and manageability of FCIP links.
- Hardware-based virtual fabric isolation with Virtual SANs (VSANs) and Fibre Channel routing with Inter-VSAN Routing (IVR): VSANs and IVR enable deployment of large-scale multisite and heterogeneous SAN topologies. Integration into port-level hardware allows any port in a system or in a fabric to be partitioned into any VSAN. Included in the optional Cisco MDS 9000 Enterprise advanced software package, IVR provides line-rate routing between any of the ports in a system or in a fabric without the need for external routing appliances.
- Remote SAN extension with high-performance FCIP:
◦ Simplifies data protection and business continuance strategies by enabling backup, remote replication, and other disaster-recovery services over WAN distances using open-standards FCIP tunneling.
◦ Optimizes utilization of WAN resources for backup and replication by enabling hardware-based compression, hardware-based encryption, FCIP write acceleration, and FCIP tape read and write acceleration; up to 16 virtual Inter-Switch Link (ISL) connections are provided on the two 1/10 Gigabit Ethernet ports through tunneling.
◦ Preserves Cisco MDS 9000 Family enhanced capabilities, including VSANs, IVR, advanced traffic management, and network security across remote connections.
- Cost-effective iSCSI connectivity to Ethernet-attached servers:
◦ Extends the benefits of Fibre Channel SAN-based storage to Ethernet-attached servers at a lower cost than is possible using Fibre Channel interconnect alone.
◦ Increases storage utilization and availability through consolidation of IP and Fibre Channel block storage.
◦ Through transparent operation, preserves the capability of existing storage management applications.
- Advanced FICON services: The Cisco MDS 9250i will support FICON environments, including cascaded FICON fabrics, VSAN-enabled intermix of mainframe and open systems environments, and N-Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) for mainframe Linux partitions. IBM Control Unit Port (CUP) support enables in-band management of Cisco MDS 9200 Series switches from the mainframe management console. FICON tape acceleration reduces latency effects for FICON channel extension over FCIP for FICON tape read and write operations to mainframe physical or virtual tape. This feature is sometimes referred to as tape pipelining. The Cisco MDS 9250i will also support the IBM Extended Remote Copy (XRC) Acceleration feature that enables acceleration of dynamic updates for IBM z/OS Global Mirror, formerly known as XRC.
- Cisco Data Mobility Manager (DMM) as a distributed fabric service: Cisco DMM is a fabric-based data migration solution that transfers block data nondisruptively across heterogeneous storage volumes and across distances, whether the host is online or offline.
- Platform for intelligent fabric applications: The Cisco MDS 9250i provides an open platform that delivers the intelligence and advanced features required to make multilayer intelligent SANs a reality, including hardware-enabled innovations to host or accelerate applications for data migration, storage backup, and data replication. Hosting or accelerating these applications in the network can dramatically improve scalability, availability, security, and manageability of the storage environment, resulting in increased utility and lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) for Fibre Channel interfaces: Cisco MDS 9250i promotes high serviceability by allowing Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software to be upgraded while the Fibre Channel ports are carrying traffic.
- Intelligent network services: Cisco MDS 9250i uses VSAN technology for hardware-enforced, isolated environments within a single physical fabric, Access Control Lists (ACLs) for hardware-based intelligent frame processing, and advanced traffic management features such as fabric wide Quality of Service (QoS) to facilitate migration from SAN islands to enterprise wide storage networks.
- High-performance ISLs: Cisco MDS 9250i supports up to 16 Fibre Channel ISLs in a single PortChannel. Up to 253 buffer-to-buffer credits can be assigned to a single Fibre Channel port to extend storage networks over long distances.
- Comprehensive network security framework: The Cisco MDS 9250i supports RADIUS and TACACS+, Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3) implementing Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), VSANs, hardware-enforced zoning, ACLs, and per-VSAN Role-Based Access Control (RBAC). Additionally, the 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports offer IP Security (IPsec) authentication, data integrity, and hardware-assisted data encryption for FCIP and iSCSI.
- IP Version 6 (IPv6) capable: The Cisco MDS 9250i supports IPv6 as mandated by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), Japan, and China. IPv6 support is provided for FCIP, iSCSI, and management traffic routed inband and out of band.
- FIPS compliance: The Cisco MDS 9250i will be FIPS 140-2 compliant as mandated by the U.S. federal government.
- Sophisticated diagnostics: The Cisco MDS 9250i provides intelligent diagnostics, protocol decoding, and network analysis tools as well as integrated Cisco Call Home capability for added reliability, faster problem resolution, and reduced service costs.
For more information, Cisco MDS 9200 Series Multiservice Switches License
Cisco MDS 9200 Order Pricing
Cisco MDS 9200 Series try to enhance the of infrastructure and applications management in companies and corporate networks. It gives the access layer infrastructure to its trustworthy users. Indeed there are different ways to contact us and order. The customers should proceed from Cisco License price quote to order and link to our experts to give them the best information and guidance. Our experts give the accurate information to the customers to buy related products and licenses.