Cisco Collaboration License
Cisco Unified Communication Manager
CUCM extends enterprise telephony features and functions to packet telephony network devices. These packet telephony network devices include Cisco IP Phones, mediaprocessing devices, VoIP gateways, and multimedia applications. Additional data, voice, and video services, such as converged messaging, multimedia conferencing, collaborative contact centers, and interactive multimedia response systems, interact with the IP telephony solution through the CUCM application programming interface (API).
CUCM provides these functions:
- Call processing: Call processing refers to the complete process of originating, routing, and terminating calls, including any billing and statistical collection processes.
- Signaling and device control: CUCM sets up all the signaling connections between call endpoints and directs devices such as phones, gateways, and conference bridges to establish and tear down streaming connections. Signaling is also referred to as call control and call setup/call teardown.
- Dial plan administration: The dial plan is a set of configurable lists that CUCM uses to perform call routing. CUCM is responsible for digit analysis of all calls. CUCM enables users to create scalable dial plans.
- Phone feature administration: CUCM extends services such as hold, transfer, forward, conference, speed dial, redial, call park, and many other features to IP phones and gateways.
- Directory services: CUCM uses its own database to store user information. User authentication is performed locally or against an external directory. Directory synchronization allows for centralized user management. Directory synchronization allows CUCM to leverage users already configured in a corporate-wide directory. Microsoft Active Directory (2000 and 2003), Netscape 4.x, iPlanet 5.1, and Sun ONE 5.2 directory integrations are supported. The local CUCM database is a Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP)-compliant database (LDAPv3) component in the IBM Informix Database Server (IDS).
- Programming interface to external applications: CUCM provides a programming interface to external applications such as Cisco IP SoftPhone, Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco Unified IP Interactive Voice Response (IP IVR), Cisco Personal Assistant, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, and CUCM Attendant Console.
- Backup and restore tools: CUCM provides a Disaster Recovery System (DRS) to back up and restore the CUCM configuration database. The DRS system also backs up call details records (CDR), call management records (CMR), and the CDR Analysis and Reporting (CAR) database.
Multiple CUCM servers share one database, and the phone maintains an active connection to both the primary and backup CUCM server. The figure shows the phone’s logical TCP/IP connections to the primary server.
Unite Applications and Endpoints
As the core of the Cisco Collaboration portfolio infrastructure, Cisco Unified Communications Manager is a unified communications call control platform that can deliver the right experience to the right endpoint.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager provides services such as session management, voice, video, messaging, mobility, and web conferencing.
Features and Capabilities
- Lower cost of ownership
- Interoperability and standards support
- Scalability for up to 40,000 users, extensible to 80,000 users
This powerful solution can help:
- Extend video capabilities to your employees through a single, unified communications infrastructure from the desktop to telepresence rooms
- Simplify voice systems with unified communications to cut costs and dramatically simplify provisioning and maintenance
- Build productivity with comprehensive unified communications to help workers communicate and work more effectively
- Enable mobility with embedded unified mobility software capabilities to keep workers productive wherever they are, with any content type, on any device
- Improve collaboration -simply click to begin an IM session, initiate a phone call, or easily start a video-conferencing call
Cisco Unified Communications Manager is available in a choice of deployment models: public cloud, private cloud, on-premises, remote, or hybrid.
Communications Applications for Every Need
Cisco offers a variety of call-processing applications and phones that can help:
- Enhance mobility: Cisco Unified Mobility keeps you in touch no matter where you work.
- Keep communications at your fingertips: Explore the inviting, simple-to-use, fully featured Cisco Unified IP Phones. (PDF – 2.41 MB)
- Manage communications with a single server: Cisco Business Edition provides medium-sized organizations everything they need for voice, video, mobility, and messaging.
Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 11.5
Reliable, Efficient Enterprise Call Management
Cisco Unified Communications Manager is the core call control application of our collaboration portfolio. It provides reliable, highly secure, scalable, and efficient enterprise call and session management. More than 200,000 customers worldwide have deployed over 60 million Cisco IP phones and tens of millions of soft clients.
Features and Capabilities
Unified Communications Manager version 11.5 continues to advance the state of the art in mid- and large- size enterprise call control. This release supports evolving Cisco collaboration solutions while adding key functionality such as new features for hybrid services, enhancements for a better user experience, and other improvements for security and compliance.
As we continue to extend our offerings into the cloud using Cisco Spark, connecting these cloud solutions to premise-based systems is critical. Call Service Aware and Call Service Connect are two new features that support the hybrid model.
Unified Communications Manager 11.5 continues to enhance the user experience with features such as:
- Enhanced instant messaging user experience using multi-device messaging (carbons) within Jabber, which maintains IM sessions simultaneously across devices and endpoints
- Improved video quality for low-bandwidth and high-definition environments
- Unified Communications Manager and Unity pin synch; they now utilize the same PIN
Security and Compliance
Safety is improved through location services. Commujications Manager, working in unison with Cisco Emergency Responder, now pulls a user’s location from Wi-Fi access points.
It also supports next-generation encryption, including:
- TLS 1.2, AES-256 RSA and ECDSA-based cipher support for SIP and SRTP Interface
- AES-256 RSA- and ECDSA-based cipher support
- Latest RSA CryptoJ Library support (6.1.x)
- 3072 and 4096 RSA Certificate Key Size
Cisco Unity Connection
Simple Unified Messaging for Enhanced Collaboration
Cisco Unity Connection is a robust unified messaging and voicemail solution that provides users with flexible message access options and IT with management simplicity.
Features and Capabilities
Cisco Unity Connection lets users access and manage messages from an email inbox, web browser, Cisco Jabber, Cisco Unified IP Phone, smartphone, or tablet. Unity Connection also provides flexible message access and delivery format options, including support for voice commands, speech-to-text transcription, and even video greetings.
Cisco Unity Connection is highly secure. It is designed for complex distributed global deployments with support for high availability, redundancy, and branch office survivability. It is fully virtualized, and can be run on specification-based hardware.
Unity Connection is easily deployed, provisioned, monitored and managed using Cisco Prime Collaboration, our single application for unified management of the entire voice and video deployment.
Cisco Unity Connection boasts a comprehensive feature set that includes numerous benefits, some of which are listed below.
Fast, Flexible User Access to Messages
Users can save time and increase productivity with quick and efficient access to messages, from the devices and applications they use, delivered in the format they want. Unity Connection supports audio messaging, speech to text message transcription, as well as video greetings, video auto attendants, and phone to phone video messaging.
Simple and Cost-Effective Administration and Management
Unity Connection is virtualized, flexible, and easily integrated into diverse network and application environments.
Unity Connection is managed (including provisioning, service activation, monitoring, performance analysis and reporting, upgrade and migration management, and license management) by Prime Collaboration. This same application manages the entire Cisco voice and video deployment.
Highly Secure, Scalable, and Compliant
Flexible in size and scale, Unity Connection is the unified messaging solution consistently selected by mid-size and global corporations, government agencies, and the security conscious since 2005.
Accelerate Collaboration with Message Access from All Devices
Access and manage messages from your email inbox, web browser, Cisco Jabber, Cisco IP phone, smartphone, or tablet with Cisco Unity Connection. Easily prioritize messages and respond quickly to colleagues, partners, and customers. If you are en route or simply prefer, you can use the speech-activated tools for hands-free message retrieval.
For IT, Cisco Unity Connection is an “integrated by design” extension of Cisco Unified Communications Manager. It is easy to manage using Cisco Prime™Collaboration, our single application for unified management of the entire voice and video deployment. Cisco Prime Collaboration simplifies deployment, provisioning, monitoring, and system management.
Cisco Unity Connection is robust and secure and is designed for complex distributed global deployments with support for high availability, redundancy, and branch-office survivability. It is fully virtualized and runs on the Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS®) or on hardware that meets minimum specifications such as servers and blades manufactured by IBM and HP.
Cisco Unity Connection boasts a robust feature set that provides the following:
● Fast, flexible user access to messages: You save time and increase productivity with quick and efficient access to your messages from the devices and applications you use, delivered in the format you want.
● Simple and cost-effective administration and management: Cisco Unity Connection is virtualized, flexible, and easily integrated into diverse network and application environments. You can manage it—including provisioning, service activation, monitoring, performance analysis and reporting, upgrade and migration management, and license management—with Cisco Prime Collaboration, the same application that manages the rest of Cisco’s voice and video deployment.
● Secure, scalable, and compliant: Flexible in size and scale, Cisco Unity Connection is the unified messaging solution consistently selected by medium-sized as well as global corporations, government agencies, and the security conscious since 2005.
Features and Benefits
Fast, Flexible User Access to Messages
● Message format flexibility: Cisco Unity Connection supports audio messaging and speech-to-text message transcription, as well as video greetings, video automated attendants, and phone-to-phone video messaging.
● Access from the devices and applications you use regularly: Access your Cisco Unity Connection voice messages from the devices and applications you use regularly, including your IP phone, mobile phone, tablet, web browser, email client, or desktop client such as Cisco Jabber.
● Delivery format flexibility: Choose how to receive your message notifications, via either indicator lights, emails, IM notifications, SMS notifications, or tones.
● Aligned with the corporate network for simpler access: For greater simplicity when accessing your voicemail via network applications such as Cisco Jabber, you can use your corporate credentials, so no additional passwords must be remembered or used. This is enabled with single sign-on (SSO), which is supported with OpenAM or Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML), including support for the Open Authorization (OAuth) capability in SAML.
The synchronization of user information is supported using Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) with Microsoft Active Directory, Sun One, Sun iPlanet, OpenLDAP, and ADAM/LDS.
● Localized: Localized in over 30 languages (see Table 1 for a full list).
Simple, Cost-Effective Administration and Management
● Manage with Cisco Prime Collaboration: Cisco Prime Collaboration provides simplified, unified provisioning, management, and analytics for Cisco Unified Communications and Cisco TelePresence® deployments. It reduces management complexity and provides automated, accelerated provisioning, real-time monitoring, proactive troubleshooting, upgrade and migration management, long-term trending and analytics, and centralized license management across Cisco Unified Communications and collaboration solutions.
● Additional management capabilities: Additional capabilities are available via standalone, custom, and Cisco Unified Communications Manager tools.
● Flexible deployment options: Deliver unified messaging (voicemail fully integrated into your unified communications), integrated messaging (voicemail appears as a separate folder in an email or IMAP client), or voicemail only (call or use a web client to retrieve voicemail), or any combination of these options to one or any number of subscribers.
● Virtualized: Cisco Unity Connection runs on a virtualized server and supports virtualization on Fibre Channel, Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), SCSI over IP (iSCSI), and Network File Storage (NFS) SANs.
● Runs on Cisco UCS or spec-based hardware: Cisco Unity Connection can be deployed on Cisco UCS or on hardware that meets minimum specifications such as servers and blades manufactured by IBM and HP.
Secure, Scalable, and Compliant
● Support for large, distributed data center deployments and high availability: Scalable to 250 ports and 20,000 users per server. Achieve high availability through active-active redundancy configuration, and implement geospatial separation by separating active-active pairs across data centers.
● Remote site survivability: Cisco Survivable Remote Site Voicemail (SRSV) helps ensure that voice messaging and automated-attendant functions are available to branch offices that use a centralized voice deployment, even when the WAN is disrupted. Cisco SRSV supports up to 35 branch or remote offices per Cisco Unity Connection server or cluster, and up to 500 users per branch or remote office.
● Supports Cisco traditional, third-party, and mixed messaging and IP telephony environments:
◦ Integrated by design with Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Unified Communications Manager – Session Management Edition (SME), and can easily integrate with leading traditional telephone systems, even simultaneously.
◦ Integrates with QSIG-enabled private branch exchanges (PBXs) through either Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Unified Communications Manager – SME, or a Cisco Integrated Services Router (ISR).
◦ Supports analog, digital, and T1 PBX media gateway integration.
◦ Supports integration with any phone system that provides a serial data link to the master PBX IP media gateway (PIMG) unit.
◦ Third-party phone system support for Avaya, NEC, Nortel, Siemens, and others; can be transparently networked to traditional and third-party voicemail solutions, including Cisco Unity, Cisco Unity Express, and Voice Profile for Internet Mail (VPIM)-compliant third-party voicemail systems.
● Flexible development and integration tools: Representational State Transfer (REST)-based APIs provide easy integration into existing provisioning, messaging, telephony, and notification systems, allowing integration with existing corporate tools, clients, and workflows or the creation of custom end-user applications.
Third-party solutions developed and available include:
◦ Donoma – Unify 8.x for Gmail, Lotus Notes, and GroupWise
◦ EsnaTech – Office LinX
◦ OpenText – RightFax
◦ Sagemcom – xMedius Fax
◦ Unimax – 2nd Nature
◦ Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) access-control policies are used to provide a secure system.
◦ Secure Real-Time Transport Protocol (SRTP) and signaling encryption provide secure communication between Cisco Unity Connection and Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
◦ Support for HTTPS provides secure web access to Cisco Unity Connection and allows playback of secure messages within Microsoft Outlook.
◦ Secure messaging helps ensure that voice messages remain on the Cisco Unity Connection appliance with no chance of forwarding.
◦ Password and PIN security policy options to enforce expiration, complexity, reuse, and lockout are supported.
◦ Supports tracking and audit of configuration changes.
◦ Supports legal hold.
◦ Supports message-aging policy for secure messages, automatically deleting all secure messages that are older than the specified number of days.
◦ Supports secure delete and voice message shredding.
◦ Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) compliant (certified versions 10.5(1) and 11.5(1)) Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC) certified (version 10.5(2)).
Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence Service
Cisco Unified Presence consists of many components that enhance the value of a Cisco Unified Communications system. The main presence component of the solution is the Cisco Unified Presence server, which incorporates the Jabber Extensible Communications Platform and supports SIP/SIMPLE and Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) for collecting information regarding a user’s availability status and communications capabilities. The user’s availability status indicates whether or not the user is actively using a particular communications device such as a phone. The user’s communications capabilities indicate the types of communications that user is capable of using, such as video conferencing, web collaboration, instant messaging, or basic audio.
The aggregated user information captured by the Cisco Unified Presence server enables Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco Unified Communications Manager applications, and third-party applications to increase user productivity. These applications help connect colleagues more efficiently by determining the most effective form of communication.
This chapter explains the basic concepts of presence and instant messaging within the Cisco Unified Communications System and provides guidelines for how best to deploy the various components of the presence and instant messaging solution. Cisco Unified Presence must be deployed with Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified CM) 5.x or later releases; Cisco Unified CM 4.x and earlier releases do not support Cisco Unified Presence.
This chapter covers the following topics:
Enhance Productivity and Borderless Collaboration
Cisco Unified Presence is a standards-based enterprise platform that brings people together in and across organizations in the most effective way. This open and extensible platform facilitates the highly secure exchange of presence and instant messaging (IM) information between Cisco Unified Communications and other applications.
Features and Capabilities
Cisco Unified Presence technology has been integrated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager for Release 9.0 and later. All the features and capabilities of Cisco Unified Presence 8.6 are now part of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Get more information about Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 9.0 and the newly integrated IM and presence service.
With this integral component of the Cisco Unified Communications system, you can:
- Facilitate faster decision making and enhance productivity using presence awareness to view the availability of your colleagues and reduce communications delays.
- See the availability of partners and customers in other organizations and exchange instant messages with them.
- Simultaneously support Cisco Unified Communications and standards-based XMMP clients with this dual-protocol platform that natively supports both SIP/SIMPLE and XMMP on a single software appliance.
- Speed up your business processes and improve first-call resolution and customer satisfaction by providing availability information and communication capabilities in existing web and business applications.
- Meet business requirements with enhanced enterprise IM capabilities such as group chat, persistent chat, IM logging, IM history, and compliance.
Cisco Unified Contact Center Express
Improve Productivity and Customer Experiences
Easy to deploy and use, Cisco Unified Contact Center Express (Unified CCX) delivers a highly secure, available, virtual, and sophisticated customer interaction management solution for up to 400 agents. This integrated, comprehensive, contact center solution is intended for both formal and informal contact centers in midmarket, enterprise branch, and corporate departments.
Features and Capabilities
Unified CCX offers sophisticated call routing and comprehensive contact management capabilities. It includes an embedded reporting solution that offers a comprehensive view of contact center statistics at a glance.
Unified CCX provides customer segmentation with state-of-the-art, built-in, interactive voice response capability, and proactive customer service for a superior customer experience with integrated, outbound, call management capabilities. Multichannel capabilities include management of voice, email, web chat, and social media inquiries.
Cisco Unified Contact Center Express offers:
- Sophisticated call routing and comprehensive contact management capabilities
- E-mail, Web Chat and social media integration
- Automatic call distributor features, including conditional routing, call-in-queue, and expected-wait-time messages
- Workforce optimization, including workforce management and advanced quality management
- Next-generation historical and real-time reports and dashboards with flexible presentation options using Cisco Unified Intelligence Center
Cisco Unified Contact Center Express is available in three packages tailored to meet your customer contact requirements.
Primary Business Benefits Include:
- Improved customer satisfaction and loyalty with comprehensive contact management
- Improved workforce productivity so you can do more with less
- Significant cost optimization with an easy-to-deploy, easy-to-use, all-in-one solution
- Improve Customer SatisfactionBoost agent efficiency, reduce costs, and improve customer loyalty with Cisco Unified Contact Center Express.
- Personalize Service for a Competitive EdgeHenny Penny improves responsiveness and saves money with Cisco Unified Communications.
- Cisco Unified Contact Center Express Mobile Skill Manager Software DemonstrationLearn how to view the status of agents and modify in real time. (Video – 2:48 min)
- Cisco Unified Contact Center Express Web Chat Software DemonstrationThis web chat feature demonstrates customer and agent side functionality. (Video – 2:47 min)
Cisco WebEx Meeting Center
Simplify Meetings with Video Conferencing
Now teams can meet, collaborate, and stay productive anywhere, anytime, and on any mobile device or video system. Cisco WebEx video conferencing helps you make decisions faster, with integrated audio, video and content sharing. Save time and money by relying on highly secure and scalable WebEx meetings from the global Cisco Collaboration Cloud.
Features and Capabilities
Cisco WebEx video conferencing is a cost-effective alternative to face-to-face meetings. Use it to collaborate with customers, partners, and employees worldwide so you can:
- Improve productivity and accelerate business processes
- Build relationships and trust, just like in person, with a lifelike video experience
- Connect from every major mobile platform or your own video system
Hold video conferences with Cisco WebEx Meeting Center to:
- Make it easy for people to connect from their own video system
- Facilitate project reviews and team meetings and keep deadlines on track
- Deepen prospect and customer relationships and expedite sales
- Develop products and resolve problems faster
- Manage dispersed teams more efficiently to save time and money on travel
Accelerate decisions and keep projects on track in real time:
- Collaborate with audio, video, and content, all in one meeting
- Share a document, application, or your entire screen
Enhance engagement with a lifelike video experience.
- Join from your own desktop or third party video conferencing system, and from Microsoft Skype for Business.
- Meet on any major mobile device
Use powerful tools for an amazing meeting experience:
- Meet in your own personal room, and continue conversations in Cisco Spark
- Record meetings with audio, video and content
- Mute or unmute participants as needed
- Integrate with everyday business applications and processes, needing no large upfront investment
Specifications at a Glance
- Meetings Your Way
Conduct meetings on any standards-based video device, Cisco Jabber soft client, Cisco Spark, and Cisco or third-party room video system
- Integrated Voice Conferencing
Provide a call-in phone number, VoIP calling, or toll-free call-in number
- Mobile Meetings
Start, schedule, and attend online meetings on Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry 10, and Windows Phone 8
- Desktop Integration
Initiate online meetings instantly from Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Lotus Notes, and a variety of instant messaging solutions
- Cross-Platform Support
It works with Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Enterprise Integration
Use single sign-on to access and integrate with Cisco Collaboration products
Protect you organization through sStringent data privacy and encrypted connections with tight policy control
Meet with Anyone on Any Video System
Be more productive and collaborative and get more done faster with Cisco WebEx® Meeting Center, the proven industry leader in video and web conferencing. From the pocket to the boardroom, Meeting Center lets users join meetings on any major mobile device or video system, so you can hold regular meetings with anyone— regardless of their location. Manage projects; host engaging meetings with customers, partners, and employees; and make faster, more informed decisions with meetings that allow everyone to see, hear, and view the same information at the same time. So everyone is always on the same page.
Meet Just As If You Were Face to Face: Use video conferencing to improve engagement, strengthen relationships, and build trust, just as if you were meeting in person, with a lifelike video experience. Increase productivity by bringing people together to meet face to face to share documents, presentations, and applications. Anyone can join the meeting by phone, mobile device, video system, or integrated audio on their computer, regardless of technology. Launch or join a meeting using your own video system, web browser, mobile phone, or tablet device.
Count on Cisco for Highly Secure, Scalable, and Reliable Service: Cisco WebEx web and video conferencing solutions help reduce costs and allow IT to focus on core priorities. Meeting Center is delivered as software as a service (SaaS) through the Cisco® Collaboration Cloud, and is easy to roll out and scale as your organization grows. The Cisco Collaboration Cloud is a global, enterprise-scale network designed specifically for highly secure delivery of on-demand applications. It offers a scalable architecture, consistent availability, and multilayer tenant security validated by rigorous independent audits, including SSAE-16 and ISO 27001.
Video Conferencing: Increase engagement and build trust, just as you would in person, by inviting others to join meetings with their own standards-based video system, including Microsoft Skype for Business. Everyone can enjoy business-quality video at up to 720p resolution and content at up to 1080p resolution. With integrated HD video, view the active speaker and up to seven participants.
Engaging User Interface: A modern interface provides a clean and intuitive user experience. Increase interaction with others with your own avatar for times when you are not sharing your video.
Document, Application, and Screen Sharing: Share content or your entire screen with remote attendees in real time. Attendees can take control and share content, or annotate yours. On the go, share your screen from Android devices and content from your iPhone or iPad. Figure 2 shows content being shared with the active speaker and other participants.
Personal Rooms: Meet even faster in your own permanent, personal room. Schedule ahead or leave your room open, lock it, and easily admit people waiting in your lobby. If you are unavailable to attend your meeting, choose an alternate host to start and run the meeting in your personal room. Save time and schedule meetings from Cisco Spark™, join Cisco WebEx meetings from your Cisco Spark app, or easily link directly to Cisco Spark rooms to continue your conversations after the meeting ends.
Interactive Multimedia Experience: Engage your audience by incorporating multimedia into your presentations, including PowerPoint, Flash animations, audio, and video files.
Integrated Audi: Offer an interactive meeting experience with Cisco WebEx integrated audio— offered through the Cisco WebEx public switched telephone network (PSTN) or Cloud Connected Audio administered by your company or a certified service provider. You can also use a range of third-party audio options. Choose toll or toll-free, or call-in or call-back. Or give attendees the option to connect using voice over IP (VoIP) or your computer’s built-in audio. Wideband audio support using VoIP provides outstanding audio quality— even over low-bandwidth networks.
Call-Me: Have your meeting call you. Simply enter your phone number or preferred video system when the meeting begins, and the meeting will call you—no dialing, no passcodes.
Active Speaker: Focus on who’s talking with active speaker technology, which automatically displays the current speaker’s video in the active speaker window.
Recording, Editing, and Playback of Meetings: Securely create encrypted and password-protected recordings of your meetings for future reference, training, or demonstrations. Play back meetings from mobile devices as well.
Desktop Integration Suite: Initiate meetings from Microsoft Office or Outlook, Lotus Notes, and a variety of instant messaging solutions.
One-Click Meeting Access: Start a meeting and invite attendees instantly from your mobile device, video system, desktop, taskbar, or favorite applications.
Easy Meeting Invites: Send invitations and reminders using an automated phone call, text message, email from your local client or personal room, or instant messaging.
Enterprise Integration: Use single sign-on to access Meeting Center. Take advantage of integration and interoperability with Cisco collaboration products such as Cisco Jabber®, Cisco Spark, and Cisco video conferencing endpoints.
Video Device Support: Meet on any standards-based video device, including mobile, desktop, Cisco Jabber soft client, Cisco Spark, and Cisco or third-party room-based video systems (Figure 4). Plus Microsoft Skype for Business and Lync clients.
Cross-Platform Support: Meet with anyone on all common operating system platforms, such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. Join meetings from Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, and Edge browsers.
Mobile Support: Enjoy a rich meeting experience with audio, video, and content sharing across Android, iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch, Android wearables, and Windows Phone 8 devices.
Advanced Gateway for Simple and Highly Secure Collaboration
Collaborating with someone should be as simple and secure as a phone call. But often it’s not. Tools that enrich interaction, such as video and content sharing, typically are confined to enterprise locations or to users who are on the same network or using the same kind of application or device. It breaks down when employees leave the office, or when they reach out to suppliers, customers, or partners who aren’t using the same system, network, or device. These barriers force people to use less productive means, such as the phone or email. Meanwhile, they miss out on the stronger relationships, faster decision making, and competitive edge that comes with the best forms of collaboration.
Cisco® Expressway™ is an advanced collaboration gateway that addresses these problems and helps make collaboration universal. Expressway is used to extend services to users inside and outside your firewall. The type of services Expressway extends depends on where the devices are registered, and with Expressway version X8.9 two registration options exist:
- Registration directly to Expressway. This option is new in Expressway X8.9. Registering users and devices directly to Expressway (both SIP and H.323 registrations are supported with Expressway-C, and proxy SIP registration is supported with Expressway-E) enables you to extend video-centric services to users.
- Registration to Cisco Unified Communications Manager via Mobile and Remote Access. This option enables you to extend a full set of collaboration services, including voice, video, desktop share, instant messaging, and presence, to users. It supports Unified Communications Manager when deployed as call control, as part of Cisco Business Edition 9.1.2 or later, or as part of Cisco Hosted Collaboration Solution (HCS) 9.2.1 or later environments.
The main uses for Cisco Expressway include:
- Mobile and remote access (MRA): Extend office connectivity to on-the-go and home office employees. Cisco Expressway makes collaboration as easy to use outside the enterprise as it is inside, by simplifying the end-user experience. Using highly secure mobile access based on Transport Layer Security (TLS), Cisco Jabber® mobile users can access all their collaboration workloads (video, voice, content, instant messaging, and presence) without the extra step of establishing a VPN. Expressway also supports single-sign-on (SSO) capabilities for Cisco Jabber users, integrating directly with the enterprise authentication and authorization methods in place. Both of these capabilities help provide mobile experiences simply from anywhere, on a range of devices with Cisco Jabber clients, and they complement common IT department bring-your-own-device (BYOD) security policies.
In addition, Expressway makes it easier for teleworkers to use their Cisco endpoints (Cisco TelePresence® EX, MX, and SX Series; Cisco TelePresence Integrator C Series; and Cisco DX Series). Workers benefit from simplified provisioning, configuration, and registration of these devices, as well as the ability to connect from their home office without having to establish a VPN connection.
- Telepresence registrations: Designed for customers who wish to deploy Expressway as a native video call control solution, without the need for Unified Communications Manager.
- Business-to-consumer (B2C) collaboration: Cisco Expressway, with Cisco Jabber Guest, allows you to extend rich and engaging interactions to prospects, suppliers, and customers over the Internet. Using a simple point-and-click method, you can more securely and easily extend rich media communications—instant messaging, voice, and video—to guests coming in from your website or mobile application, whether they are consumers, other businesses, or even temporary employees.
- Business-to-business (B2B) collaboration: Share collaboration services with business partners. Cisco Expressway simplifies B2B collaboration, including instant messaging and presence (IM&P) federation. Using URI dialing, organizations can more securely collaborate with partners and suppliers, just as if they shared an office. No prearrangements are needed.
- Cisco Collaboration Meeting Rooms Hybrid: Connect your on-premises Cisco TelePresence Server infrastructure to Cisco WebEx® cloud services via Expressway to deliver a seamless conferencing experience for both telepresence endpoints and Cisco WebEx participants, all in the same meeting.
- Cisco Spark™ Hybrid Services. Expressway enables you to:
◦ Connect your on-premises Cisco Unified Communications Manager with Cisco Spark in the Cisco Collaboration Cloud to deliver integrated calling experiences.
◦ Connect your on-premises Microsoft Exchange to Cisco Spark users in the Cisco Collaboration Cloud, making it easier for them to schedule and join meetings, especially when they are mobile.
- Interoperability and interworking: Connect with third-party video endpoints and different protocols. Expressway can connect any standards-based endpoints, including Scalable Video Coding (SVC), Advanced Video Coding (AVC), H.323, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), and Binary Floor Control Protocol (BFCP). With Expressway you can continue to use legacy video endpoints, whether from Cisco or third-party providers. This gives you tremendous flexibility to use your existing endpoints now, and upgrade to new endpoints when you’re ready. Cisco Expressway also supports Microsoft Lync and Skype for Business clients, even using the proprietary Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).
Figure 1 illustrates the key Expressway use cases
Cisco Expressway consists of two components, Expressway-C and Expressway-E, that work together to form a highly secure traversal link to enable collaboration services, including video, voice, content, instant messaging, and presence, for users both inside and outside the firewall. It does this by complementing your existing security tools and policies – with minimal firewall configuration, Expressway traffic flows through your secure firewall (unlike many session border controllers [SBCs] that require firewall bypass).
● Expressway-C is located within your network and is used to provide the native endpoint registrations for both SIP and H.323 devices in addition to the interworking of Cisco TelePresence endpoints with standards-compliant H.323, H.264 SVC, and SIP third-party video systems, as well as Microsoft Lync and Skype for Business clients.
● Expressway-E is located at the perimeter of the network and enables the traversal services that allow VPN-less connectivity with remote and home office users, business partners, and customers, as well as SIP endpoint registration.
Figure 2 illustrates a deployment with Cisco Expressway-C and Expressway-E for highly secure traversal
Cisco Expressway supports flexible deployment options. It can be deployed on the Cisco Expressway CE1100 Appliance or as a virtualized application for VMware.
Benefits of Cisco Expressway
● Increased competitiveness: Expressway helps enterprises speed decision making and business processes with real-time video, voice, content, instant messaging, and presence collaboration beyond the firewall.
● Enhanced workforce mobility: Expressway embraces mobility and device proliferation trends. It provides simple and highly secure access for a range of Cisco Jabber unified communications clients, with single-sign-on capabilities and without the need for a separate VPN client. Therefore, it complements common BYOD strategies.
● Improved productivity and agility: Expressway empowers people to collaborate with colleagues, customers, and partners in a more timely and effective manner while helping reduce travel costs.
● Interoperability: Expressway breaks down barriers by supporting open standards and providing interworking between disparate systems and protocols. This helps enhance the value of your existing investments and increases the number of participants with whom you can connect. Supported standards include IPv4 to IPv6, H.323 to SIP, and Microsoft environments, including Microsoft RDP, to enable content sharing with Lync and Skype for Business users.
● Flexibility: Expressway supports businesses of all sizes as part of the Cisco Business Edition solutions or enterprise Cisco Unified Communications Manager deployments. Its services can also be enabled through a cloud using Cisco Hosted Collaboration Solution.
● Simplified licensing: Mobile and remote access using Expressway is included as part of Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing (UWL) Standard and Pro and Cisco User Connect Licensing (UCL) Enhanced and Enhanced Plus agreements. For Hosted Collaboration Solution deployments, it is included in the Hosted Collaboration Solution Foundation and Standard license bundles.