Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM & Presence Service
Cisco Unified Presence consists of many components that enhance the value of a Cisco Unified Communications system. The main presence component of the solution is the Cisco Unified Presence server, which incorporates the Jabber Extensible Communications Platform and supports SIP/SIMPLE and Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) for collecting information regarding a user’s availability status and communications capabilities. The user’s availability status indicates whether or not the user is actively using a particular communications device such as a phone. The user’s communications capabilities indicate the types of communications that user is capable of using, such as video conferencing, web collaboration, instant messaging, or basic audio.
The aggregated user information captured by the Cisco Unified Presence server enables Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco Unified Communications Manager applications, and third-party applications to increase user productivity. These applications help connect colleagues more efficiently by determining the most effective form of communication.
This chapter explains the basic concepts of presence and instant messaging within the Cisco Unified Communications System and provides guidelines for how best to deploy the various components of the presence and instant messaging solution. Cisco Unified Presence must be deployed with Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Unified CM) 5.x or later releases; Cisco Unified CM 4.x and earlier releases do not support Cisco Unified Presence.
This chapter covers the following topics:
Enhance Productivity and Borderless Collaboration
Cisco Unified Presence is a standards-based enterprise platform that brings people together in and across organizations in the most effective way. This open and extensible platform facilitates the highly secure exchange of presence and instant messaging (IM) information between Cisco Unified Communications and other applications.
Features and Capabilities
Cisco Unified Presence technology has been integrated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager for Release 9.0 and later. All the features and capabilities of Cisco Unified Presence 8.6 are now part of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Get more information about Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 9.0 and the newly integrated IM and presence service.
With this integral component of the Cisco Unified Communications system, you can:
- Facilitate faster decision making and enhance productivity using presence awareness to view the availability of your colleagues and reduce communications delays.
- See the availability of partners and customers in other organizations and exchange instant messages with them.
- Simultaneously support Cisco Unified Communications and standards-based XMMP clients with this dual-protocol platform that natively supports both SIP/SIMPLE and XMMP on a single software appliance.
- Speed up your business processes and improve first-call resolution and customer satisfaction by providing availability information and communication capabilities in existing web and business applications.
- Meet business requirements with enhanced enterprise IM capabilities such as group chat, persistent chat, IM logging, IM history, and compliance.