Rob Das and Eric Swan collaborated together to implement this technology in 2003 as a solution for reviewing information data faced by many companies. The name “Splunk” is derived from the word “spelunking”, which means exploring information data. This licensed software is built as a search engine for logs that are stored in the infrastructure of a system.
The first version of Splunk was launched in 2004, which attracted the attention of its end users. Gradually, it was noticed in most companies and they started buying Splunk licenses. The main goal of the founders is to mass market this developing technology so that it is possible for almost all possible use cases.
Splunk License is an advanced, scalable and effective technology that catalogs and searches files registered in a system. Splunk analyzes this machine-generated data to provide action plans based on machine intelligence.
Splunk Volume License is a software primarily used to search, monitor, and review machine-generated Big Data through a web-based user interface. Splunk can create charts, reports, alerts, and dashboards. It aims to create machine-generated data across the organization, capable of recognizing data patterns, generating metrics, diagnosing problems, and leveraging machine intelligence for business operations purposes. Splunk is a technology used for application management and security, as well as for business and analytics.
With the help of Splunk volume license software, it is easy to search for specific data in a complex data set. As you may know in the log data, it is difficult and challenging to identify the current configuration problems. To make this easier, there is a tool in the Splunk software that helps the user diagnose configuration issues and view the current settings being used.
Software in the company’s technological infrastructure, security systems and business programs of your organization provides you with an in-depth view of the progress of your business. For this purpose, splunk monitors everything from user click trends to security transactions and network activities. This powerful product provides you with valuable information from the raw data collected by the machine, thus improving business intelligence.
Basically, Big Data has an economic definition. By analyzing big data, it is possible to obtain very useful information and hidden patterns. Among the advantages of this more effective marketing process can be mentioned. In fact, in Big Data, we are dealing with data whose capacity is larger than that of normal software.
Splunk Volume key features
- Scalability and agility
- High speed data processing
- Threat analysis and threat response
- High level of compatibility with different data
- Rapid detection of threats in a fraction of a second
- It has a security system based on intelligent analysis
- The purchase cost is much lower than other competitors
- Increasing the effectiveness of SOC processes and experts
- Fast extraction and recovery of data, possibility to identify fields
- Quickly adapt data to changes in threats and face advanced threats
- Empower your SOC with a fast and flexible security intelligence platform
- The ability to implement in the form of Cloud, On-Premise and a combination of these two modes
- Various reports (in various formats and various charts) and the possibility of display in user dashboards
- The scalability of using Splunk at the level of organizations and small and medium-sized companies to large organizations is one of its capabilities.
- The possibility of all kinds of search methods (logical searches, the possibility of string searches, searching in a time frame, etc.) and displaying the search results in the form of reports and graphs
Logs collected and analyzed by this powerful tool
- Logs created by different operating systems
- Logs created by smart and mobile devices such as phones
- Logs created by internal software such as automation, finance, etc
- Logs created by security equipment such as IPS, Firewall, Antivirus
- Logs created by internal services such as AD, DNS, IIS, Apache, DHCP
- Logs created by network infrastructure components such as Switch, Router
- Logs created by electronic equipment such as electric doors, elevators, sensors, traffic control
Types of Splunk licenses
There are four types of Splunk licenses. Here is a brief overview of each:
Free Splunk License: The Free Splunk License is a limited version of Splunk Enterprise intended for personal use. It allows Splunk users to index data in small amounts of 500MB or less per day and search all public indexes.
Splunk Enterprise License
The Splunk Enterprise gives you access to all the features of Splunk Enterprise, including machine learning and artificial intelligence, data streaming and scalable index. You can also add users and roles.
Development / Test or Beta License
If you intend to use a beta version of Splunk, you will need a different license. Free and Enterprise licenses don’t work.
Freight Forwarder License
This Splunk license forwards unlimited amounts of data and enables security with one login for each user. This type of license is included in the Splunk Enterprise license.
How large is a Splunk license required?
Estimating the volume of Splunk data within an environment is not an easy task due to several factors: number of devices, logging level set on devices, types of data collected per device, user levels on devices, load volumes on devices, volatility of all data sources, not knowing what the final logging level will be, not knowing which events can be eliminated and much more.
As you begin planning and deploying the Splunk environment, you understand that the license size can be increased and the Splunk environment can be expanded quickly and easily if Splunk best practices are followed.