Table of Contents
ES Mothership App for Splunk
ES Mothership App for Splunk provides a single pane of glass into multi-instance Splunk Enterprise Security deployments including a roll-up of notable events and security posture dashboards. ES Mothership App for Splunk is dependent on the Mothership App for Splunk being installed.
ES Mothership App for Splunk Documentation
Table of Contents
- App Description
ES Mothership App for Splunk provides a single pane of glass into multi-instance Splunk Enterprise Security deployments including a roll-up of notable events and security posture dashboards. ES Mothership App for Splunk is dependent on the Mothership App for Splunk being installed. See the following link for more information on the Mothership App for Splunk: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4646/
- If you have the internet access from your Splunk server, download and install the app by clicking ‘Browse More Apps’ from the Manage Apps page in the Splunk platform.
In a Distributed Deployment or a Search Head Cluster Deployment
Please see the Mothership App for Splunk ‘Distributed Deployment or a Search Head Cluster Deployment’ documentation for proper setup and configuration.
- The Mothership App for Splunk administrative user interface can be found in the Environments dashboard of the ES Mothership App for Splunk License.
- From this dashboard, an administrator has full lifecycle (create, read, update, delete) control of the environments and associated environment searches.
- The following quickstart will walk through the configuration of a single environment with multiple searches required to power the Security Posture and Incident Review dashboards from the management page.
- To get started, let’s configure an environment and associated environment searches which will allow us to query an existing Enterprise Security Splunk instance and populate the bundled dashboards.
- We will be using the ES Mothership administrative user interface.
- Select the ‘New Environment’ button and fill out the fields as follows.
- Name: “An ES Environment”
- Management Server: “https://localhost:8089” (edit the hostname and port to reflect the management host server port of the environment Splunk Enterprise Security is running on)
- Web Server: “http//localhost:8000” (edit hostname and port to reflect the web UI)
- Username: Provide the username of a properly credentialed service account (should be able to search)
- Password: Provide the password of the service account provided above
- Search Templates: Click ‘Apply’ to assign all pre-bundled search templates from the app
- Leave all other fields as is and click ‘Save’.
- We will now review the environment searches for the environment that were just created.
- Expand the environment by clicking the ‘>’ column.
- You should see the three associated environment searches:
- All Notables – Last 24 hours
- Notable Events By Urgency – Generator
- Notable Events – Generator
- Check that the environment is correctly configured and the searches have ran. This can be accomplished by clicking the refresh icon next to the Environments or Searches heading to see the latest status.
- This remote environment is now being regularly queried on the provided schedule with the provided searches. You can view the results of this query by clicking on the Edit menu in the Actions column and selecting Results.
- Explore the Dashboards available by clicking on the Multi-ES Dashboards navigation items Multi-ES Incident Review or Multi-ES Security Posture.