Cisco Nexus 1000v Series Virtual Switch License
Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches provide a comprehensive and extensible architectural platform for virtual machine (VM) and cloud networking. The switches are designed to accelerate server virtualization and multitenant cloud deployments in a secure and operationally transparent manner.
Key Use Cases
● Cloud Security – Nexus 1000v address 3 aspects of Enterprise grade cloud security
- Role based access control through Cisco Trusted Security (CTS) framework
- Micro segmentation and control over East-West traffic using Virtual Security Gateway (VSG) firewall and Advanced firewall capabilities for North-South traffic with virtual Adaptive Security Appliance (vASA)
● Automation, Self-Service catalog and Multi-tenant cloud
- Through integration with VACS solution, Nexus 1000v offers Self-Service catalog with automated deployment and configuration of integrated virtual networking functions such as switching, routing, firewall & load balancer with Multi-Tenant support
● Operations ready converged infrastructure through integration with
- vBlock – Converged Infrastructure from VMware, Cisco & EMC allows customers to select preconfigured and integrated solutions
- Flexpod – Integrated computing, networking, and storage solution developed by Cisco and NetApp.
- Cloud Services Platform (CSP) 2100 – The CSP 2100 is a Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) turn-key & open x86 Linux Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) software and hardware platform to run both Cisco and 3rd party virtual network services. The CSP 2100 bridges network, server, and security teams by offering several ways to manage and operate the platform
- UCSO – Cisco UCS Infrastructure with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform gives you Validated Designs and Reference Architecture which reduces the time and risk of deploying cloud infrastructure
The Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switch has two major components (Figure): the virtual Ethernet module (VEM), which runs inside the hypervisor, and the virtual supervisor module (VSM), which manages the VEMs.
Virtual Supervisor Module
The Cisco Nexus 1000V Series VSM controls multiple VEMs as one logical modular distributed virtual switch. Configuration is performed through the VSM and is automatically propagated to the VEMs.
The VSM is also integrated with Cloud management and orchestration tools such that the virtualization administrator can take advantage of the network configuration in the Cisco Nexus 1000V Series switch.
Virtual Ethernet Module
The Cisco Nexus 1000V Series VEM runs as part of the hypervisor software. The VEM takes configuration information from the VSM and performs Layer 2 switching and advanced networking functions.
In the event of loss of communication with the VSM, the VEM has Nonstop Forwarding (NSF) capability to continue to switch traffic based on the last known configuration.
● Rich feature mix addresses common requirements and offers wide choice to meet additional custom needs.
- Familiar building blocks of security offered through ACL’s, AAA, DHCP snooping/DAI/IPSG, PVLAN, Port-Sec.
- Resource preference to business critical applications with Classification, Marking, Policing and Weighted Fair Queuing.
- Simplified Network operations by supporting SPAN/ERSPAN, Netflow, vTracker, SNMP, Syslog.
- Virtualized network extension capability by abstraction of underlying hardware with features like VxLAN, SXP & Mac-Distribution.
● Mixed Mode Upgrade which enables ongoing VSM (control plane) only upgrade and limits the need to upgrade VEM’s (data plane) only when using new VEM dependent features
● Multi Hypervisor support for VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V and RHEL KVM Openstack provides consistent network configuration, management and control across multiple virtualization platforms.
● Manual/Automated configuration and management options through NXOS Cli, REST API, XML API support.
● Offers high scale numbers and key scale friendly features such as
- Enhanced VxLAN
- BGP Control plane for VxLAN extension across multiple Nexus 1000v switches
- Live Migration of Virtual Machine across Datacenters.
● AVS – Application Virtual Switch for ACI, provides cross-consistency in features, management, control and allows for intelligent policy enforcement and optimal traffic steering for virtual applications.