Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches license
Get top-of-rack, Layer 2 and 3 switching
Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches license
Simplify management. Increase network visibility. Improve monitoring. The 3000 Series offers low-latency, highly programmable, high-density switches. These compact fixed switches are excellent for general-purpose deployments, high-performance computing (HPC), high-frequency trading (HFT), massively scalable data center (MSDC), and cloud networks.
Compare 3000 Series models
The series is designed for top-of-rack deployments. It offers 24 to 128 ports, high performance, and comprehensive features.
- Large 8-GB buffers and large tables
- Native 25 GE support for access connectivity
- Highly programmable with NX-API
- 1/10/25/40/100-Gbps connectivity
- Lowest latency in the industry
- Comprehensive features, including AlgoBoost
- Suited for HFT and HPC deployments
- 1/10/40-Gbps connectivity
- Programmable pipeline
- In-band network telemetry (INT)
- Suited for web-scale, service provider, and financial data centers
- Supports 1/10/25/40/100/400G
- High density and 42-MB buffer
- MACsec capable and telemetry for top notch security
- Highly programmable with comprehensive features
- 10/25/40/50/100-Gbps connectivity
- Compact: 100G 1RU
- Flexible connectivity: 128 ports x 1/10/25/40/50/100G
- Highly versatile leaf/spine platform
- Wire-speed Layer 2 and 3 switching
3100V, 3100, 3000 Series
- Suited for big data, cloud, and virtualization
- Optimized for 10G access and 10/100/1000 Mbps management
- Compact power optimized platforms
- VXLAN routing
Features and benefits
- Simplified operations
- Open programmability
- Scalability and high performance
- High availability and efficiency
- Enhance top-of-rack (ToR) agility
Cisco Nexus 3100-V Platform Switches
The Cisco Nexus 3100-V switch platform is the latest addition to the industry’s widely deployed Cisco Nexus 3100 platform. The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform consists of high-density, low-power-consumption, and low-latency fixed-configuration data center switches with line-rate Layer 2 and 3 features that support enterprise applications, service provider hosting, High-Performance Computing (HPC), and cloud computing environments. These switches support a wide range of port speeds with flexible combinations of 1/10/40/100-Gbps connectivity with improved port density and scalability in compact 1-Rack-Unit (1RU) form factors.
The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform runs the industry-leading Cisco® NX-OS Software operating system, which helps ensure continuous availability and sets the standard for mission-critical data center environments. The platform is designed for programmable fabric, which offers flexibility, mobility, and scalability for service providers and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) and cloud providers; and for programmable networks, which automate configuration and management for customers who want to take advantage of the DevOps operating model and tool sets. It is well suited for data centers that require cost-effective, power-efficient, line-rate Layer 2 and 3 Top-of-Rack (ToR) switches. These switches also support forward and reverse airflow (port-side exhaust and port-side intake) schemes with AC and DC power inputs.
Features and Benefits
The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform provides following benefits:
- High performance and scalability
◦ The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform provides wire-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching of up to 2.56 Terabits per second (Tbps) and up to 1.4 billion packets per second (bpps) on all ports.
◦ The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform delivers ultra-low nominal latency (approximately 650 nanoseconds [ns]), which allows customers to implement high performance infrastructure for High-Frequency-Trading (HFT) workloads.
- Line-rate Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN) routing
◦ VXLAN is designed to provide the same Ethernet Layer 2 network services as VLAN does today, but with greater extensibility and flexibility.
◦ The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform offers native line-rate VXLAN routing.
◦ The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) Ethernet Virtual Private Network (EVPN) control plane provides scalable multitenancy and host mobility (for more information, refer to the document “VXLAN Network with MP-BGP EVPN Control Plane.
- Enhanced buffer for applications
◦ The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform offers 16 MB of shared buffer space.
In today’s data center, application teams require the network to be flexible and capable of handling the rapid growth of applications. The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform provides deep shared buffers (16 MB) to absorb bursts of traffic and a wide variety of applications, such as multicast feeds, voice traffic, video traffic, and healthcare applications.
◦ These deep buffers also provide flexibility to expand your network as your needs change. The shared buffers are also instrumental in situations in which one or more servers are consuming most of the bandwidth in highly oversubscribed environments.
- Higher ingress Access Control List (ACL) entries
◦ The Cisco Nexus 3100-V platform offer 16,000 ACL entries and 1000 egress ACL entries.
◦ The increased number of ingress ACL entries can be especially useful in today’s data centers, particularly in virtualized environments.
- High availability
◦ Virtual-Port-Channel (vPC) technology provides Layer 2 multipathing through the elimination of Spanning Tree Protocol. It also enables fully utilized bisectional bandwidth and simplified Layer 2 logical topologies without the need to change the existing management and deployment models.
◦ The 64-way Equal-Cost Multipath (ECMP) routing enables the use of Layer 3 fat-tree designs and allows organizations to prevent network bottlenecks, increase resiliency, and add capacity with little network disruption.
◦ Advanced reboot capabilities are included through In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) and Fast Reboot capabilities.
◦ Power-Supply Units (PSUs) and fans are hot swappable.
- Purpose-built on the NX-OS operating system with comprehensive, proven innovations
◦ Power-on Auto Provisioning (POAP) enables touchless bootup and configuration of the switch, drastically reducing provisioning time.
◦ Cisco Embedded Event Manager (EEM) and Python scripting enable automation and remote operations in the data center.
◦ Advanced buffer monitoring reports real-time buffer use per port and per queue, which allows organizations to monitor traffic bursts and application traffic patterns.
◦ Ethanalyzer is a built-in packet analyzer for monitoring and troubleshooting control-plane traffic and is based on the popular Wireshark open-source network protocol analyzer.
◦ Precision Time Protocol (PTP; IEEE 1588) provides accurate clock synchronization and improved data correlation with network captures and system events.
◦ Complete Layer 3 unicast and multicast routing protocol suites are supported, including Border Gateway Protocol (BGP), Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP), Routing Information Protocol Version 2 (RIPv2), Protocol-Independent Multicast sparse mode (PIM-SM), Source-Specific Multicast (SSM), and Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP).
- Network traffic monitoring with Cisco Nexus Data Broker
◦ Build simple, scalable and cost-effective network test access point (TAP) or Cisco Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) aggregation for network traffic monitoring and analysis.
For more information, refer to the Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches Data Sheet