Riverbed SteelCentral License
Riverbed Steel Central
Continuous, High-Speed Packet Capture, Indexing, and Storage
The Business Challenge
When business-critical applications fail the impact can be serious. You need to be one step ahead with real-time, actionable information to identify and diagnose problems before your business is impacted. Unfortunately, many monitoring tools take slices of data that can omit the most meaningful data set.
Or if the data is captured, it can take a large file transfer in order to conduct analysis, exacerbating network performance problems. You need a better way to ensure that packet level information is always available for troubleshooting and for granular, real-time, and back-in-time analysis.
The Riverbed Solution
Riverbed Steel Central NetShark quickly captures, indexes, and stores all data packets without the need for file transfers. It exports summarized metrics derived from the packet data to the SteelCentral NetProfiler for the advanced behavioral analysis, monitoring, reporting, and alerting on network and application performance.
Because the metrics from SteelCentral NetShark are deduplicated and integrated with flow-based data from other sources and stored in the same logical record, IT operators can streamline the troubleshooting workflow and accelerate the triage process.
By continuously recording the packets traversing the network, rich troubleshooting details are always available when you need them, saving time and money by minimizing the effect downtime has on business productivity and by reducing or avoiding business-stopping slowdowns or outages. Via the integration with SteelCentral Packet Analyzer software, you can conduct robust analysis and reporting of packet recordings on remote SteelCentral NetShark instances without having to transfer large packet capture files across the network. By continuously capturing and storing multi-terabytes of recordings, SteelCentral NetShark also enhances your productivity since you don’t have to wait for problems to appear again or to try to simulate them in order to diagnose issues.
- Accelerate troubleshooting with fast retrieval and analysis of packet and transaction data
- Solve intermittent performance problems without having to recreate them
- Accommodate any monitoring requirement with flexible storage capacity options
Powerful packet capture and storage
- Monitors and troubleshoots complex or intermittent performance and security-related problems, without having to transfer large files across the network
- Add up to 8 Storage Units to a single NetShark 6170 to flexibly extend storage capabilities to a maximum 576TB of packet data
- Capable of sustained line-rate, multi-gigabit per second recording, and storage of network traffic using high-performance 1GB or 10GB copper or fiber interfaces; up to eight 10GB interfaces per SteelCentral NetShark appliance
- Real-time and back-in-time analysis on remote trace files with SteelCentral Packet Analyzer
- Flexible alert options by SNMP for monitoring network devices.
Smart packet indexing to unify flow monitoring and packet-based data
- With real-time indexing of packet data, you can easily search terabytes of data for a seamless transition between flow-based information in SteelCentral NetProfiler appliance and packet-level information in SteelCentral NetShark appliance
Allocate capture jobs and packet storage based on application type
- Perform multiple, separate capture jobs on a SteelCentral NetShark appliance and dedicate different amounts of storage to each job to flexibly extend storage time for critical applications
Capture what you need for regulatory compliance or time-sensitive applications
- Selective recording for regulatory compliance: with requirements such as PCI DSS or HIPA A, you can record and store just the right amount of packet data and also extend the amount of packet data and length of time that it can be stored
- Precision time stamping: critical for low-latency trading environments, time-sensitive applications, and multi-segment analysis, SteelCentral NetShark adopts the precision time stamps from network tap aggregators such as Gigamon, cPackets, Ixia-Anue, Arista, and VSS Monitoring
Built-in visibility and packet capture in Riverbed SteelHead
- SteelHead and SteelFusion Edge can act as a SteelCentral probe, making it easy to gather packet data and receive flow data from the branch
- Provides remote-site troubleshooting with packet capture; a subset of NetShark capabilities is embedded in every Riverbed SteelHead appliance without affecting core WAN optimization
- Eliminates the need to deploy a dedicated probe—or even a remote site technician—to extend SteelCentral application-aware network performance management to a WAN optimized environment
- Can be deployed in four ways for maximum coverage: dedicated appliance, virtualized software (SteelCentral NetShark Virtual Edition), add-on module (NetShark module on SteelCentral AppResponse) or as embedded functionality in Riverbed SteelHead/SteelFusion Edge products
- Recognize and monitor application types, including well-known, custom-developed, virtualized, peer-to-peer, VoIP, and Web-based applications with deep packet inspection (DPI)
- Provides support for Financial Services Markets, including supporting market data gap detection and FIX 4.x and 5.x
- Best used with Riverbed SteelCentral Packet Analyzer and Wireshark for seamless handoff and streamlined troubleshooting
- SteelHead and SteelFusion Edge can run SteelCentral NetShark capture functionality for remote site troubleshooting without affecting WAN optimization or branch converged infrastructure performance
- The AppResponse NetShark module adds rich network intelligence to supplement the existing end-user experience monitoring and transaction analysis provided by Riverbed SteelCentral AppResponse
- Use SteelCentral Transaction Analyzer with NetShark for of fline, multi-tier, user transaction analysis for diagnosing root cause quickly and easilys
Product Model Comparisons
- SteelFlow export is performed by SteelHead itself, not embedded NetShark functionality
- 576TB of storage on NetShark 6170 is achieved with eight 72TB Storage Units (SCAN-SU-72TB)
- 264TB with ARX 6000—three expansion chassis
- Packet storage capacity is based on customer allocation via Riverbed Virtual Services Platform (VSP) on Riverbed SteelHead EX series deployment