Best backup solutions
The world of virtualization is becoming more widespread day by day, and data centers have no choice but to move in the direction of technology and virtualize servers. In order to take backup from virtual servers, you must use special software for this purpose.
Veeam Company was founded by a group of IT elites in Switzerland. The goal of this company is to provide backup software for use in virtual environments. All the products of this company have a user-friendly interface that makes their use simple and enjoyable for every user.
It is worth to note that Veeam is derived from the phonetic pronunciation of the letters VM, which means virtual machine.
Ratmir Timashev and Andrei Baronov founded Vim in 2006. Veeam’s first products, Veeam Monitor and Veeam Reporter, provided monitoring, reporting, and document analysis in virtual infrastructures. In 2007, Veeam Company was noticed with the free VM backup version product, which became the basis for creating data-protection software for Veeam hardware virtualization.
The licensed Veeam released Veeam Backup & Replication in 2008 with 10 employees. A tool that prepared VMware vSphere VMs from backup versions and image-based replication with internal data deduplication and compression. Veeam Backup & Replication of Microsoft Hyper-V started in 2012. In 2015, this company expanded its product line with a free backup tool for physical endpoints or Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE. It should be noted that this tool supports 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows and integrates with Veeam Backup & Replication.
In 2015, Veeam released FastSCP for Microsoft Azure, a tool for copying files between on-premises locations and Microsoft Azure VMs.
In 2016, the company launched Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365, a software tool for backing up Office 365 Exchange servers, and Veeam Availability Orchestrator, a multi-hypervisor disaster recovery orchestration software with documentation capabilities. In 2017, this company introduced three new products for physical and cloud workloads, which are as follows:
- Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and for Linux operating system, programs dedicated to protecting physical workload data with various backup and recovery scenarios including cloud.
- Veeam Availability Console, a free tool for managing Veeam data protection and recovery of distributed infrastructures and the possibility of providing BaaS and DRaaS services through service providers.
It should be noted that Veeam took steps to further integrate VMware management with management system platforms such as Microsoft and HP, which resulted in two new products of the company:
- Veeam nworks Management Pack for VMware allows users to integrate VMware management directly into Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
- Veeam nworks Smart Plug-In for VMware that allows users to integrate VMware management directly into HP OpenView.
In 2012, the names of both products were changed to Veeam Management Pack and Veeam Smart Plug-In by losing the word nworks. In 2017, the company acquired N2WS, a company that provides cloud-based backup and recovery solutions for Amazon Web Services, or AWS.
Veeam license abilities
This software provides powerful monitoring and reporting for data protection and backup.
Self-service recovery of VMs
Now network administrators can easily restore their VMs using the Click Restore feature and other powerful options, and restore operations can be performed safely, without creating a workload for the IT department, and in less time.
Backup from storage snapshots
With Veeam’s exclusive innovations, including VMware block change tracking, the user can perform backup operations and copy snapshots whenever he needs, from several times a day or even every 5 minutes.
Native tape support
This feature has provided the user with more options for archiving backup files on disk, Cloud, and using Tape. Support for virtual tape libraries (VTLs), independent tape libraries and disks, has enabled the user to be flexible in investing and setting policies for the use of tape.
Built-in WAN acceleration
Keeping a copy of the backup file offsite can be a difficult task. Tape equipment is difficult to manage and bandwidth is expensive. Version 7 has been able to overcome this problem by using this feature. This feature has increased the copy speed up to 50 times faster than the standard mode by using Caching, deduplication with variable length and optimizing the transfer of backup files over the WAN.
Backup copy jobs Veeam
By providing its Backup copy job feature, it has made proper backup based on user policies without the need to maintain backup files repeatedly. In this feature, VMs are backed up automatically in the storage location specified by the user, and validation operations are performed on them to confirm their reliability and availability.
Some other prominent features of this software are:
- Very easy and user-friendly interface
- Introduction of scheduled program to take backup
- Email notification about problems in the backup process
- Defining different users with limited and unlimited access
- Documenting the status of systems and managing reports
- High reliability in the process of taking backup and restoring it
- The possibility of backup from Windows and Linux virtual machines
Veeam license key features
In addition to the advantages of using virtual environments, we list a number of other advantages of this technology:
- Reducing IT costs
- Connect from anywhere
- Less duration of disability
- Faster response to user requests
- Reducing the need for executive resources
- More flexibility and stability to meet business needs
- Setting up the operating system as quickly as possible
- Ease of updating software and hardware (virtual hardware)
- Improving security and accessibility by centralizing and integrating user information
- A very effective application in terms of separating the Internet from the internal network